It's that time of year when some are choosing their "word" for the year. A word that may define what they may want to achieve, aspire to, to accomplish, or live for. Last year I chose the word "YES", yes to new adventures, new thoughts, new actions. And I think I did a pretty darn good job of saying yes.
- I said yes to planning a trip to Italy with a blogging buddy who at the time I had not even met. Unfortunately due to my husband's condition and hospital stays, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the country. But I did say yes.
- I said yes to a Photography Workshop in Tennessee in the incredible Great Smoky Mtns, knowing absolutely no one, but now have beautiful memories of a time well spent.
- I said yes to starting a Family Photography Business that is beginning to blossom.
- I said yes to hosting the women from "Focusing On Life" the collaborative blog that I participate in at my home in August....all coming from Texas, New Jersey, Kentucky, Arizona, and Oklahoma which was an absolute glorious 3 days. Some of us had never met, but life sisters we have become.
- I said yes and participated in the Alzheimer's Walk in October raising money for research to conquer this terrible disease that has taken my husband from me along with millions more.
However this year I am adding another "new word" to my life, "compelling." My granddaughter-in-law (and she is a very intelligent and delightful young woman, I might add, see photo above for us together) used the word a couple of times in conversation yesterday. I don't believe I have ever said that word "outloud ever. But I liked how she used it, how it sounded, so I referred to Webster and this is how "compelling" is defined.
: very interesting
: able to capture and hold your attention
: capable of causing someone to believe or agree
: strong and forceful
: causing you to feel that you must do something
With synonyms being...
: conclusive, convincing, decisive, effective, persuasive, satisfying, strong & telling.
So this year I want to be conclusive and decisive, I want to be strong (not forceful), I want to be very interesting and capture your attention, satisfying & telling. That's a big word to swallow, I may have bitten off more than I can chew. But when you are on the downhill swing of life, this is not the time to shrink from challenges, live out-loud so someone said. And that is what I hope to do in 2014. Lead a compelling, live "out-loud" life.
Do you have a word for 2014? If you do, I would love to hear, do tell.
It is time to say goodbye to 2013. It was a year filled with many ups and a few downs for me, but as the year ends, I am content and filled with thanks.
"Wanting something is not enough. You must hunger for it. Your motivation must be absolutely compelling in order to overcome the obstacles that will invariably come your way." ~ Les Brown
Until next time...