Sunday, August 28, 2016

A Journey to Torch Lake


No, no...I haven't fallen off the blogging train. I was not home last week, off on a wee vacation visiting long time friends at Torch Lake. A lake known as one of the most beautiful in the world. At least according to my friend, George.  If you look at a map of Michigan, up along the northern end next to Lake Michigan you will see Traverse City, MI, Torch Lake is a short drive from that point. A vacation spot, both summer and winter.  Our friends have a cottage with beach access making it the perfect spot to hang out for the summer (except for perhaps the 4th of July, it gets too noisy, too crowded, and too much trash is left by the visitors). George and his lovely wife are now in their 80's so their idea of fun has changed over the years, they have slowed down alot, both having major surgeries on backs and knees. 


Their life is spent at a much slower pace, but George still tinkers with his tools, walks the dog twice a day, and stops for wine around 4:00 PM everyday without fail. He and his wife share a great love and respect for each other, they laugh alot, hold hands alot, and are an illustration of what a long and happy marriage should be.

A big chunk of time was spent sitting on the patio with old oaks and pine trees surrounding the cottage on all sides. Taking a deep breath the air smelled like someone had sprayed a pine air refresher, but instead of from an aerosol can, it came from nature.  A large bird feeder hung within easy site, so I brought my 150-600 mm lens out and waited. I was not disappointed.....





One evening George was grilling on the patio and spotted a deer. Here I come with the BIG lens, and lo and behold it was Mom and 2 babies.



The baby was too quick and my lens focused on the tree instead of on the fawn. Oh well....next time.

There were 2 black squirrels that kept us entertained with their games of tag and who can scale a tree faster.


It was a a lovely time being with old friends and surrounded by the beauty of nature.

This week I am returning to Michigan to join a photography tour of the lighthouses of Lake Michigan. We will be getting up early to capture the lighthouses at dawn and staying out late to photograph them at sunset. We will end almost as far up as Torch Lake, traveling Tuesday thru Friday along the shores. So next week look for lighthouses.  Hope you have a great week ahead as summer winds down and the glories of Fall begin.

Until next time.....

16 comments:

  1. Bonjour Deanna,
    Bravo ! pour ce magnifique article et ces très belles photos
    Belle journée !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots Deanna. The blurred baby deer is so atmospheric. Life slows us down a pace as we go through it but to have someone really dear to share it with is an absolute blessing. I hope your friends have many more years to enjoy each other's company xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for taking a getaway! The birds are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like lots of fun, Deanna, and the photographs of your feathered friends are just beautiful!
    Have a wonderful top back to Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such tranquil beauty! Glad you were able to spend time with old friends (and all those critters and birds). Have fun with your photography group - the trip sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good time with your friends and is beautiful surroundings. Yhe bird shotsa re wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found myself relaxing in the views and fragrances as I read your words . . .
    Wonderful summer treat . . .
    Plus friendship . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Torch Lake is a beautiful place. I am so glad you had a great time. Can't wait to see the Lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks as if you are having a very fun time with that BIG LENS! and also a great august! Good for you Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've been enjoying yourself, Deanna! So have we. I wish I had time to process and post the photos I've taken, but when you have to choose between living more and sitting with your old photos, there's not really much of a choice! What a wonderful dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love the fact that the deer is bokeh. Looks like a lovely little mini vacay. I can not wait to retire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful bird shots....looking forward to seeing the light houses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful photographs of your time away! I do love all those bird shots and of course the deer with her two babies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This place sounds wonderful, Deanna! It sounds like 'On Golden Pond', one of my very favorite movies. Love hearing about your sweet, elderly friends and seeing the beautiful photos of the wild things. Looking forward to seeing photos of the lighthouses, too! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! You captured some great shots! The birds are amazing! What a beautiful lake. Sounds like you had a good time with friends. I'm only 47 and I think I run on your friends' speed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.