Sunday, March 29, 2020

Flowers Bloom, Color Returns


 The picture above was taken last August as I was driving home from our 95th Street Library Brown Bag Lectures. Twice a month the library would have a presentation from a "story-teller" dressed in an appropriate costume, speaking as tho she/he were indeed that person. Fiona Carnarvon, the former mistress of Highclere Castle, also known as Downton Abbey was the main event that day. Enormously entertaining, a delightful way to spend an afternoon. Driving home I spotted a garden growing along a fence line in full bloom. It was on the opposite side of the divided road so at the next available turn I did a quick U-turn and backtracked to the blooming garden. OK, admittedly I should have had both eyes on the road, but I'll bet any photographer will confess that their eyes are always on the look-out for those unexpected moments.  As I parked, grabbing my camera I was a bit hesitant, because the garden was planted along side a long driveway leading to a house. I took my chances and approached, ready to come up with some excuse if needed, and began to make the pictures you see here. It should be obvious why I stopped...!!  


  I love flowers and I love taking pictures of flowers. I have gardens in the front, back and side of my house and the joy that flowers bring to me is comforting, reassuring, and refreshing.  The flowers in my backyard bring me comfort as I sit on my screen porch looking out at the pinks, reds, yellows, purples and greens.  Reassuring that every year the daylilies, are the first to poke thru the earth as it begins to warm, knowing that other perennials are sure to follow. And my gardens are a refreshing change from the long, cold and sometimes dark winters. 


I'm not sure how the next few months are going to unfold but I can be assured that seasons come, flowers bloom, and color returns. 


"The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul." – Alfred Austin 

Until next time.....stay safe,

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful flower shots, Deanna. So lovely to see your blog come alive again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your flower pictures . . .
    Wonder what the first flower is . . .
    I call those your “Ride By Pics!”
    My eyes always await for something new and colorful.

    A friend, before Christmas, found some Winter Berry near her home
    but the WB wasn’t on her property. So she went to the home where
    she had seen the berries, asked if she could take pictures
    and the woman invited her to cut some berry bunches.
    She told her she appreciated her coming to the door.
    Saying most people just drive up and cut!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.