Monday, November 19, 2012

Hanging On

I am trying to hang on to Fall and it's colors one last week before all thoughts will turn to Christmas.  On Friday, pumpkins will disappear to be replaced by lighted trees and Thanksgiving figures will be packed away with Santas and Snowmen appearing from boxes that have been stored in basements and attics.  Stockings will be hung in anticipation of Christmas Eve, lights are strung to make the shortened days appear brighter.  Poinsettias will take center stage while the Mums in all their glorious Fall colors have faded and are thrown into the compost piles.  We turn the page of the calendar to a new Season.

But wait, before all that happens I am still enjoying those last bits of Fall.....




I thought these leaves were such a beautiful color I snipped a few to place in a vase, but the leaves began to fall off the branches almost as soon as I cut them.


And I am re-posting this lovely field and barn from last week's trip to the country for Trish's Barn Charm.  


And this barn, with it's really high window, it's pretty low window, and it's really low window.


Off to the grocery store to buy sweet potatoes, & cornbread for stuffing, and cranberries to make that all important Thanksgiving meal.  Hope your week is as fulfilling as our tummies will be on Thursday.  Happy Thanksgiving!!

Until next time.....

22 comments:

  1. Love the round bales in the first picture, and the second barn is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that pretty last scene and all the leaves, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leaves in the jar are really a pretty color! And I love the high, low, middle window barn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both photos are wonderful! I can't pick my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. I love the golden leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We noticed some brown fields this weekend here in Florida and weren't sure if it was grass of soil! You took some wonderful photos! I love Autumn colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna! hi! very lovely tribute to remaining autumn forms and colors. our colors are almost gone with the snow we have had but the snow has all melted here in the neighborhood and so the last remaining colors can 'hang on' a bit longer. lovely post!

    yes! isn't it great when the thrift store pulls through. don't worry about me. i get great selections from my handy dandy thrift store. i just want some new brown boots. i have 2 pairs of black; one dressy and one casual and 1 pair of green cowboy boots that I love. just hunting for brown boots now. don't worry - i'll land on them soon. i always do. no kidding, i do!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, the last of fall..in the blink of an eye it will be time for cold winter days and bare limb trees..

    ReplyDelete
  9. The papery-like texture on the leaves in the first picture is so interesting. Great barn with the silo and its low-middle-high window placement. I am spending Thanksgiving with my dad and his wife, but they're not doing a traditional turkey dinner and I'm so disappointed. Roast. Yuck! But I will live. The main thing is to be with our loved ones, right? Hope your holiday is full of joy and that you get to see your sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I look up and down the street and it seems everyone is getting a jump start on putting out the wreaths on the windows and lights on the houses. I'm with you - until turkey, potatoes, dressing and rolls are had, there are no Christmas decor going up in this house. period! I love the shot of the leaves in the bottle - gorgeous (and still a good candidate for another day's use with textures).

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really love both barns ... my favorite is the 2nd one. so great. have a wonderful Thanksgiving. i can't wait to hear all about your family happenings. (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely autumn photos! Autumn is so far behind us up here in Alberta - we have no leaves but do have a foot or two of snow... Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful captures, Deanna. Have a wonderful and warm Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like those fall pictures. The barns are both amazing. Love the windows on the second one. Very interesting how the window is on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Every one of these pictures is gorgeous! Love that last barn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. each one of those photos are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really lovely pictures! I think Fall here is pretty much past, but it will still be a few weeks before I get around to Christmas (I'm so bad at the seasonal decorating thing). Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, these are so pretty, Deanna! The first two are my favorites. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful photos, Deanna! And I love the barn with the hay bales. Classic and charming. I'm always impressed when I see your photos. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've captured the leaves so well Deanna and the colours are so warm and glowing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never could figure out why barns had windows. Maybe so the cows could see when the farmer is coming to feed them (grin)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.