Saturday, February 2, 2013

She Walked Through The Valley of Death


Today I was planning a trip to Milwaukee, WI to spend some time with my grandson, Brandon and his wife, Hilary.  They moved to Milwaukee last summer with Brandon taking a new job, which he loves and Hilary convincing her employers that she could manage her job from home, which has worked nicely.  Brandon is a graphic web designer and Hilary is a grant writer, both extremely talented, and I am the grandmother, I can boast!!  Anyway, today was the day I had planned on driving up to Milwaukee and spending the day letting them show me all around to their favorite spots.


But on Thursday, I received an email from the son of one of our book club ladies.  Norma's daughter had passed away on Wednesday and the funeral service was scheduled for Saturday morning.  I can go see Brandon and Hilary next weekend, or the following, but today I need to be at that service.  Norma's daughter, Pam, only 38 years old died from that ugly disease, cancer.  Norma watched her daughter battle her first bout with breast cancer 5 years ago, beat it, only to have it return with a vengeance and beat her this time.  Pam lived at home with her mother, so Norma was right with her as she battled and eventually walked thru her valley of death.  Pam was a strong Christian, spending much of her time being with the youth of her church, guiding them, preparing them and being a strong example of  a Christian woman.

It's not right that a mother should lose her child, it's not right that mothers should have to watch their children suffer thru pain, but it happens every single day.  I pray for these women, I pray for Norma that in her heart she knows that Pam is now at peace, no longer in the pain that she suffered.  She has walked thru her valley of death and is now dwelling in the house of the Lord forever.  One of Pam's favorite Bible passages was John 14:27-28  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  "You have heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you....'

As Norma resumes her life without Pam, I pray that her heart will be not troubled and peace will come to her.

Until next time....





19 comments:

  1. I almost went to Milwaukee today, for a soccer tournament. So sad that Norma's daughter passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a book of questions to ask GOD when i meet him - i have been told that we need to trust in him & not ask questions - but in moments like this - i feel we are only human & wish for an answer. it seem so unreal & unfair. WHY? love & big big hugs. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be the saddest loss - that of a parent who loses a child. You were right to be present to support your good friend. You have kindness in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will pray for Norma & that she find the peace that only can come from our loving Savior. I will pray for you, that you may be the friend Norma needs & God wants for her. You're right, a mother should never lose her child. I was reminded of this today as I spent time with my 80 year old aunt & uncle who lost their son only 5 short years ago. My aunt still misses my cousin so......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a difficult loss for your friend. Just in september, my sister also lost her daughter in the same way. She is also a strong Christian and has tried to maintain her joy, but it is tough! Will keep your friend in my prayers. Glad that you were there for her

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tribute/comments of your friend and her daughter was truly touching. Bless you. You have some beautiful winter scenes among your collection - I really like the fence shot in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so sorry for your friend's loss. so terrible to watch her daughter battle that disease - twice. i am glad you were there for her as she said her goodbyes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can not even fathom dealing with the loss of a child...no matter how old he/she may be. It just isn't natural or right for a parent to bury a child. But I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers. She is blessed to have friends like you who put off their own joy to support her thru this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My prayers are with Norma and her family. I think it is the worst loss. My uncle died before my grandmother -- he was 47 and had three small children -- and my grandmother was sad from that time on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I touched publish before I finished my comment...But I am praying for peace and comfort for Norma and that she grows less sad as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing in this life seems as unfair as losing a child...nothing...no matter what the age of the child. My heart goes out to this mother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart goes out to Norma. That has to be so difficult. I will keep them in my prayers.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good friend you are to support Norma at this difficult time. Lovely post Deanna.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful tribute to Norma & Pam ... and prayer is one of the greatest expression of love.
    Beautiful Post!
    Blessings!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine a greater sadness than to lose a child. Prayers for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deanna, I will be praying for Norma and also for you as you lend your support and love to her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Losing a child is a parent's worst fear. So sorry for your friend's enormous loss. My deepest condolences. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't think of anything worse, than losing a child.
    Our daughter just went through a battle with cervical cancer, last year. We were lucky. She's been given a clean bill of health.

    But, the road forward will never be the same. The fear of something else popping up some day, will hang over us.
    I've lost so many members of family and friends, to that evil disease. It rears it's head, in so many forms.

    Thoughts and prayers are going up, for your friend and her family and friends.

    God bless....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Condolences to you and your friend. She'll live on in there hearts of all she touched.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.