- In 1609 Henry Hudson discovered the Delaware Bay - my gosh that was a long time ago.
- Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American-born saint (and we have very few since her) was born. I think the US has only 7 Saints out of the 10,000 world-wide.
- In 1922 a radio station in New York City aired the first radio commercial, a 10 minute ad for a real estate company. The station charged $100 for that ad and now I pay Sirius Radio to NOT have commercials while listening to the radio.
- Donald O'Connor (one of my favorite song and dance man, you remember him, Debbie Reynolds & Gene Kelly dancing together in "Singing in the Rain" ) was born in Chicago in 1925. (I sure wish we had good fun-filled musical comedies again on the big screen)
- In 1996 the 15 year troubled filled marriage of Prince Charles and Princess Diana ended officially. (see it's not always great to marry a Prince)
- In 2005 the monster storm Hurricane Katrina headed for New Orleans, a storm that wrecked devastation in both destruction and the handling of the whole situation.
- And in 2008 Barack Obama became the first African-American to receive the Democratic party's nomination for president of the US. And it's that time again. The next few months should be mighty interesting.
Linking to Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday....thanks Kim for sharing your talents. You are a saint.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today." ~ Lou Holtz
Until next time.....