Monday, May 16, 2011

Early in the Garden

Sweet, sweet Lily of the Valley one of the earliest to appear in the garden after the brilliant yellows of the daffodils and stunning hues of the tulips.  Softly drooping their sweet white bell shaped blooms, with an aroma that perfumes the air.  I added this to Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday using her new Pourtou texture. 



Ahh, the Allium, how beautiful standing tall in the early garden.  Actually this isn't from my garden, but from my good friend, Marti's garden.  She has this beautiful raised bed overflowing with wonderful perennials with the allium's taking center stage right now. 



The perennial verbena, love it.  I have planted this 4 years in a row and each year when the garden wakes up, the verbena never does.  I re-buy, re-plant and hope for the best.  Well, after having one of our worst winters with record breaking snowfalls, the verbena is BACK and blooming.  Go figure. 


This is my mystery plant, now I know it is an iris, but it is a mystery because for the life of me I can't remember planting this, don't know where I got it, don't remember anything about it.  It appeared last spring, didn't bloom, so it remained a mystery the entire year.  It's back this year, but this year it has at least one bloom on it, so in a few days/weeks the mystery will be solved.  Stay tuned for the unveiling.

"Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity."
                                                                                                                               ~Lindley Karstens


2 comments:

  1. Look at you going to town! I love every post and the colors and photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up a bit on your blog and I noticed this shot of the "mystery plant". It looks like it could be an amaryllis. But, then again, there may be other flowers that start out looking similar. Be sure to post a pic of this one when it finally blooms!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.