Sunday, May 29, 2011

Graduation Sunday


Picked up my first batch of cherries at the grocery this morning while shopping for ingredients to make my potato salad.  Today is Brie's graduation from highschool and afterward we are celebrating with a party at "the gymn" with food & fun.  All of my grandchildren and my children and my son-in-law and my husband all love my potato salad and whenever there is a party with food they request that I bring my potato salad.  Today was a little bittersweet as I peeled and cut-up all the ingredients I thought of my Mom and how much she loved my potato salad.  The last time I made it she was right next to me in the kitchen helping me peel the potatoes, so not only did the onions make me cry, but the thought of her and how much I still miss her also brought tears to my eyes.  So yes, life is like a bowl of cherries, there is a little bit of sour (missing her) but there is a whole lot of sweetness in my memories. 


This morning when I looked out the kitchen window to the backyard, I had a nice surprise.  My mystery plant had bloomed and what a gorgeous bloom it is.  I knew by the shape of the plant and the leaves that it was an iris, but until this AM I had no idea what color it would be.  Again, I still do not remember buying it or planting it, but after 2 years the mystery has revealed itself.  It has at least 4 blooms on one stalk so the enjoyment should continue for awhile.  All the iris' are in bloom now and my head turns from one beautiful specimen to the next....blue, white, light purple, dark purple, deep red, peach, yellow the colors seem to be endless.  I am seeing all these while I am driving....one of these days my looking is going to cause me some trouble. 


This beauty is in my friend, Catherine's front yard.  I had never seen a peach iris until I saw hers.  She said she would share with me when it grew large enough to divide.  Extra doses of Miracle Grow please. 


This lovely lives next door in Nancy's garden.  I do believe these were in her Mother's garden that she shared with her daughter.  Now Nancy gets to enjoy them and so do I. 


After graduation, it was picture time with the graduate.  These 2 lovelies are my daughter, Lisa and my granddaughter, Brie.  Brie is the one in the cap & gown....just in case you were wondering. 


The graduate with her brother, Brandon and her sister, Bailey.  Again, Brie is the one in the cap & gown.  All 3 of them graduated from the same highschool, which sometimes is a rarity among families.


The family....Hilary (the new daughter-in-law), Brandon (the brother, married to the new daughter-in-law), Sam (the Dad with the hat???) Brie (the one in the cap & gown, but I guess you know that by now) Lisa (the Mom) and Bailey (the sister).  It was a happy, happy day.  Now, off to eat the potato salad.

"I hope your dreams take you to the corners of your smiles, to the highest of your hopes, to the windows of your opportunities, and to the most special places your heart has ever known."  ~Author Unknown

Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.