Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Bragging = Kick in Butt

You know how it is, you start bragging about something and then it turns around and kicks you in the butt.  Yesterday my post was about how I successfully (?) weaned myself off of the anti-depressants I have been taking over the past several years.  No sooner had I hit the "publish" button than I received a call telling me that my husband had been accepted at the nursing facility here in my city, and they needed a definite day that he would be moved.  Well, the tears began to flow and flow they did for most of the afternoon as I made the arrangements for his move on Friday and asking my friend, Marti to be with me since my daughter just left this morning for NYC and won't be back until Sunday afternoon.  Tears continued to flow as the Director at his "new" place told me what a gentle man he was, how he would fit in well, they would take good care of him, etc etc.  Am I going to get that bottle out with the little blue pills, no.  But I know that it is there if I feel the need for that extra help down the line.  Granted this is an upsetting time, moving my sweetie from a place that I felt very comfortable with to a new more hospital like environment, but I know it is needed, he needs it and that is what's important right now.

Thank you to all who commented yesterday on my need for help when I was at a very low point in my life and I congratulate those who have recognized their own needs and have taken steps to live better, happier, more fulfilling lives with the help of medication when needed.  There is no shame in these needs and I thank God that there is medication to help us when our lives spin out of control.

My daughter, her husband and my youngest granddaughter came with Mac (the Huskie) to spend the evening and the night with me prior to leaving on their trip to NYC which is a grand way to cheer me up.  Their lives are always so busy that this is a rare occurrence when they can spend the night.  But since I am 1 hour closer to the airport and they had an early morning flight that made sense.  I took the opportunity to shoot a few pictures of Brie right prior to the sun setting.  When she was younger she really didn't like Nana taking pictures, but now she gladly poses...makes this Nana's heart happy.

Brie will be a junior at Iowa State University in the fall studying zoology.  Her dream is to become a zookeeper and currently she is doing an internship at a small zoo during the summer months.  She has always been an animal lover since she was just a wee one, so working with zoo animals is perfect for her.





Well, must go...need to hop in the shower, the girls are coming here this morning instead of our usual B&N.  I am dog-sitting Mac, the Huskie, and just didn't feel comfortable leaving the two dogs here ALONE so soon after my daughter & family left.  So coffee on the screen porch instead of B&N this morning.

Have a good day, hope the sun is shining, if not in the sky, in your heart.

Until next time....


26 comments:

  1. good morning Deanna...as i read your posts i always feel that i could be sitting with you out on your screened porch having that cup of coffee...sigh. I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you as you move your sweetie to his new home. He is so blessed to have you in his life...hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna -- I feel as if I am reliving my journey with my dad when I read your posts. You are doing such a good service to those that go after you on the Alzheimer's story. I didn't share mine -- but I'm so glad you have the courage to share yours. Brie is a gorgeous girl. I wish her luck at Iowa State. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna, what a bright spot this granddaughter has to be in your life. She has a beautiful aurora about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely young lady with a beautiful smile ..thoughts are with you my friend at this time ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Deanna, I haven't been around for awhile just trying to get back into the swing of things. My prayers go out to you my friend. I know life can be tough some times.
    I love the photos of your Granddaughter she is beautiful.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're a brave woman, deanna, sharing your story with us all. i hope your husband settles into his new environment easily and that you can get used to the transition just as easily, too. we're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely no shame in seeking help when you need it. It is the right thing to do. Hoping that your Sweetie makes the transition well. Your Brie is a beautiful girl. It would be exciting to have a zookeeper in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Granddaughters rock! I have four (and, two grandsons). Brie looks like a lovely young lady. Sounds like she's well on her way to reaching her dream.

    I think tears are completely normal, considering the emotional happenings going on. Hope your sweetie makes the transition easily.

    Hang in there....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in favor of whatever is helpful. I had bad side effects with antidepressants so I use St John's Wort and complete omega oil supplements. It seems to me that you are living with your whole heart with both sadness and joy. That takes great courage and I am rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to feel, even if it's sadness...or perhaps your tears are tears of gratitude for finding a welcoming place for your sweetie - or all of the above. Thankfully, your friend can be with you during the transfer.

    Wonderful portraits of the beautiful Brie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love her short hair! a girl after my own heart! hope she attains her dream of zookeeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you are going through this. Crying always makes me feel better. I hope your friend can help you with the transition, but if she can't, I know you can do it. I went through Alzheimer's with my Dad. It's hard. Big hug. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Nancy--you're doing such a service to others in talking about your own journey with your husband. I hope it gives you some comfort to know that you are offering comfort to others. I hope the transition for your husband goes well.

    Your granddaughter is beautiful! Such a happy smile! And it's great that she loves animals and wants to work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos of Brie! Maybe the best ever. Tears are not the same as depression. Sometimes we just need that release ... and Lord knows you probably do. It goes without saying, I'll be thinking of you and your sweetie tomorrow as well as Friday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beauty she is..I believe tears to be cleansing and release..So let them flow..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having been through this with both my mom and my grandparents, I know how difficult this is, Deanna.
    You are in my heart and my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're still doing great! You have good reason to cry right now - I can't even imagine how I'd handle a similar situation. I'll be thinking of you and praying everything goes smoothly with your husbands move. - and your granddaughter is beautiful - I love her hair and beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Each day at a time. Some days are rougher than others and we need the help of our family and friends to get through the tough times. Looking forward to meeting you in Chicago, and sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying everything goes smoothly with moving your sweetie! Glad your friend will be there with you.
    Your granddaughter is a lovely young woman!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't believe there is a thing wrong with crying...it releases tension. I believe that's why God made tears...so our sorrows would flow away in our tears. My mom used sleeping pills for years after my dad died so that she could get some much needed sleep. And I agree with you....there is no shame in asking for help from the doctor when you need it. Hugs. I'm so sorry you are hurting.

    You have a beautiful granddaughter. My cousins' daughter works at the zoo in New Orleans. That is what she went to college for, also. She has worked there since she was in either jr. high or high school....except for a short time that she went to England and then to Florida to work at Disney World. She's in her early 30's now and loves the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful portraits you shot. Lovely light. Hoping the move goes well and as stress free as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sending a HUGE hug, Deanna!! The pictures are gorgeous! Her smile is radiant!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think tears are good for the soul-I don't think it is healthy to hold them back. Your granddaughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great portrait photographer you are, Deanna - Brie's personality shines in each photo. Sometimes crying is good for us - especially during such a life-changing event. It's when there are showers every day that there may be trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Deanna - I am back-tracking through your posts (after being away for over a week) - I am so sorry your world took such a turn and your equilibrium shaken. Hopefully things will balance out and all will be okay. Hang tight. Your granddaughter is beautiful and very photogenic - I'm glad she let you get some pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.