Thursday, September 1, 2011

No White After Labor Day

I wore my white capri's for probably the last time this year, you know what they say, 'NO WHITE AFTER LABOR DAY"...at least that was the fashion when I was growing up.  No white pants, shoes, purses etc after Labor Day and certainly not again until Easter.  Didn't matter if Easter was in March or April, just not before the official "it's ok to wear white now" Easter Sunday.  It does sound silly and I am shaking my head, but I tend to fall into that category of not wearing white "stuff" after Labor Day.  There are some fashion drills your Mother taught you that you just can't seem to shake.  Sometimes I envy the young women of today, they wear white anytime of the year they want without any hesitation or feelings of guilt, and then again I take a second look at what they are wearing and I cringe. I am going to stop now before I get myself in trouble.

I meant to write about the end of summer and images of just that, but somehow got off on fashion.  So to switch from white fashions to what is in fashion in the garden right now.....



These Hostas were given to me by both neighbors and friends, I think it is one of the original and very common Hostas, first to peek their leaves out from the early spring earth and last to bloom in the summertime.  I love their lovely lavender lily shaped flower (say that fast 10 times).  Have you ever looked closely at the flowers from the Hostas?  My daughter always snips them off, but many of them have beautiful blooms to enjoy.  Look at that stamen, how perfect. 


A terrific bloomer right now is the ever-faithful Gaillardia.  I bought this at Home Depot a few weeks back and thought I had killed it, but I watered it, spoke kindly to it, and it began sprouting new buds and now is in full bloom.  The blue in the background is the blue birdbath that I bought earlier this summer.  Looks great next to the bright yellow. 


I mentioned a couple of posts back that I had put out 2 new bird-feeders and hopefully would be posting great shots of all the birds gathering to eat.  This was the only thing that gathered around the birdfeeder and promptly ate the entire feeder, in one day, I might add.  I went out yesterday morning and there was nothing but crumbs left in the bottom of the feeder.  He climbs the pole and hops right on.  So....my little brain began to think how could I possibly deter this little pole climber.  I decided to try PAM, you know, the stuff you spray in pans before you bake or fry something in order for the food not to stick.  Well, I thought it might work the same on the pole.  Tried it, and it worked.  Haven't seen the little chipmunk all day and the feeder is still full.  If anyone else has a better remedy, just let me know, but for now, the PAM is working. 

Another great day, joined another friend for lunch I had not seen in almost 3 years.  We had a lot of catching up to do.  Such a sweetie she is, we vowed not to let 3 years go by again without seeing each other.  We did much more talking than we did eating.  Probably a good thing for my diet, but then I came home and gobbled down 4 chocolate chip cookies that my friend Marti made.  Oh, Deanna....

"Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it."  - Philip D Stanhope

Until next time,



5 comments:

  1. Love your post and your photography! I'm following you now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine snipping off the hosta blooms, unless they were intended for a vase (I've never done that -- I wonder if they keep well?).

    I have quite a few varieties of hosta -- all given to me -- so I have no idea what the names of them are. I just know they are pretty! :)

    Lovely photos, Deanna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these are pretty, but I just want to grab that chipmunk and kiss it!!! So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I tend to follow this rule- whether intentionally or not. With the exception of pajamas- I really embrace the deep fall colors & by the time it's cool enough for me to pull out my pants, sweaters & coats- I am so happy to be wearing all those shades I have missed all summer- that I don't even give my white things a second thought.

    OH & I Love your pics from the garden- GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a no white after labor day gal myself, unless it is winter material like a white sweater or white wool jacket, but definitely no white shoes! Then again, I don't really like white shoes any time of year. Funny thing is, my 81 year old mom is the same way. This summer we were trying to find some silver shoes to match the outfit she was going to be wearing to her granddaughter's wedding; we had a terrible time finding some because she wears a 6 1/2 AAA. I told her if we couldn't find silver, she could get by with white. She did not want anything to do with the white shoes! We finally found her some silver shoes on the internet! I'm following now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.