Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thoughts on Rosh Hashanah and a few Pics

Since I wasn't successful yesterday at the Dr.'s office, I tried again today.  As I walked in the door, I was greeted by 2 of the office staff and the nurse.  If I hadn't been a patient there for too many years to reveal, I would never have guessed that the blue-jeaned lady with a mouthful of celery was the nurse.  The office was officially closed, eventho the door was open, due to Dr. Weinburg's Jewish faith.  She was not there and would not return until tomorrow because of the holy holiday,  Rosh Hashanah. Cindy, the nurse, was able to fill my prescriptions (yeeha!) and set me up for a physical in October. (ugh!).

Rosh Hashanah is celebrated from sundown yesterday until sundown this evening. In the Jewish tradition, Rosh Hashanah marks the completion of the creation of the world and is the beginning of the Jewish High Holy, followed 10 days later by Yom Kippur, the "day of atonement."  Rosh Hashanah is the "day of judgment," and it is believed that God opens the Book of Life on this day and begins to decide who shall live and who shall die. The days between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are viewed as an opportunity for Jews to repent and ensure a good fate.

I really am very unfamiliar with the Jewish traditions but reading about Rosh Hashanah being the day of judgement and that God opens his book and begins to determine who stays and who goes, and then gives the Jewish faithful an opportunity to save themselves sounds like something that would interest me.

As a Christian we are taught to be prepared at all times, but I gotta admit there are some days this kid just isn't ready and certainly not prepared.  My thoughts aren't always pure, haven't done a good deed in awhile, didn't attend church last Sunday, passed by the man on the corner collecting money for a good cause, keep falling asleep during my night-time prayers.  If my calling is coming, I am in big trouble.  Now if I knew that judgement day was upon me, all those wrongs would now be rights.  But that's not what our Christian faith is about, we should be doing those rights all along, not waiting until someone says, oops, better right those wrongs or you are not up for re-newal.  I have opportunities every day to do "rights" and I truly do try to not do the "wrongs", but sometimes I slip.  As a Christian I know that when I slip, there is forgiveness and an opportunity to try again. 

A common greeting on Rosh Hashanah is shana tovah u'metukah, Hebrew for "a good and sweet new year".   So to all those of the Jewish faith "shana tovah u'metukah" and may God bless you all.


It is raining again today, so my outdoor shooting was really limited.  Took this from the car window.


The softness of these colors make me swoon....


Loved the texture on top of this already textured leaf, texture courtesy of Kim Klassen. 

Hope your Thursday was like a truffle among the toadstools.....

"Don't run through life so fast that you forget where you've been and lose where you're going.  Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored every step of the way."  ~  Kobi Yamada

Until next time........

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I can't believe you took them from the car! The berries are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics Deanna. Color is just starting here. Love the Jewish holiday reminders. Since Jesus was Jewish, I fill a kinship with that faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that last image.

    No matter what our beliefs are, we should all aim to do right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post Deanna.. I have to say I am in the same boat as you.. I really need to try to be a better person!! Your photos look amazing..

    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are beautiful. I agree that we can learn a lot from other people's belief's and religions. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.