Monday, August 15, 2011

Meaningful Monday

I love volunteering for "Feed My Starving Children".  It takes a little over 2 hours of my time and I feel like I contributed to the feeding of so many of our hungry children all over the world.  Especially in those third world countries where children are literally starving.  I was not able to participate for quite a while, but now that my sweet husband is being cared for I am now able to participate in the activities that I have missed doing for so long.   This morning my good friend, Marti and I drove to the building where the meals are packed and shipped, put on our hairnets (the most glamorous part) and managed with the help of 10 other women packed 18 boxes of food in an hour's time.  What is so wonderful is seeing groups of teenagers volunteering and enjoying the work as well.  In fact, this morning there were three times as many teenagers working as there were adults. Doesn't that just warm your heart!! While packing,  music is played and with so many teenagers there, the singing was infectious....I could even sing-along to "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond the rest of the music I did more humming than singing.  This was a place where your troubles vaporized with the rewarding feel of doing a good thing. 


This afternoon I met 3 gal pals at the movies to see "The Help"....I loved the book and I loved the movie.  For those of you who have read the book, it pretty much follows the story-line with very few parts left out...and for those of you who have not read the book, you will love the movie without feeling you have to read the book first.  I give it 4 stars!!  The acting is 1st rate, especially the two that play Minnie and Aibilene.  Oscar nods!!  And little Opie Taylor's (aka Ron Howard) daughter portrayed a real "bitch" (sorry for that, but I can think of no other description that fits more perfectly than that) and did it really well.  After the movie we proceeded to Panera, ate and then talked and talked and talked and talked.  Love those ladies!!



After I drove home I grabbed my camera since I had not taken a shot all day and went across the street, looked to the west and saw the sun setting behind the pine tree.  After another stunner day, the sky still had those wispy clouds and the blue became even more intense.  We have truly been blessed with terrific weather these past few days, 70's during the day, 50's at night....ahhhh!!!   I am sharing this with Lisa at the Creative Exchange. 

Hope your Monday was marvelous and your week is grand.

"When you are with a Friend, your heart has come home."  -  Emily Farrar

Until next time.......






7 comments:

  1. I just finished reading The Help today, and oh did I love it! I can't wait to see the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Help as well and I am DYING to see the movie! It is at the top of my to-do list with my girls.
    Also, I love the shot of the sunset in the pine tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard many good things about this book and want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day and you captured a beautiful image at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had such a wonderful day, and you are so deserving of that! Reading your post here, makes me smile because I know you were also!

    Thank you so much for sharing this today at The Creative Exchange.

    I wish you a wonderful day!

    lisa.

    P.S. Isn't Panera Bread the best??? Love it there!

    P.P.S. I just downloaded "The Help," and I cannot wait to get started on it. I've heard such wonderful things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful photo to end your wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deanna!
    It's Michelle from your "picture" classes! I love your blog! I also loved "the Help" - one of my top 10 books. I just saw the movie and I actually think for the first time ever I liked the movie even more than the book. I guess it was because maybe it was so in your face. I found myself smiling through much of the movie, laughing out loud and sobbing, so much so that I had to be one of the last to leave the theater. And I agree with you that the actresses should be up for awards! See you back in class...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.