Tuesday, August 23, 2011

School is Back in Session

Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday theme this week is "Back to School"...very appropriate since all the kids from around my parts are back in school.  No waiting until Labor Day for this event.  Remember the times when nobody started school until after Labor Day??  The schools here had their first day almost a week ago.  Summer is becoming shorter and shorter, especially for the school crowds.  However, thinking back to when my children were young, they always were more than ready to go back to school, see all the friends they missed being with over the summer, get back on a schedule, new clothes, new supplies, a fresh start...heh, I even remember these times and I also remember thinking to myself, "OK, Deanna, now you have a brand new year to start making those grades my Mom & Dad are expecting from me."  I would always start out so organized, but somehow I always manage to slip a little and not make the grades I wanted.  My grades weren't bad, but let's just say I was not in the category of Valedictorian.  But I sure had fun in every grade, and guess what, I found I didn't need that Geometry course I did so miserable in after all.  I know I learned much more in school about life and living than how to solve a geometry problem. 


Today's entry for Kim's Texture Tuesday is a typical representation of school-days...books for learning, and an apple for the teacher, or for your lunch.  I used two of Kim's textures, 1) applied Water Stained Frame twice, the first at soft light 100%, the second at linear burn at 100%.  2) the second texture is Scratch Magic 2 on overlay at 100%.   I usually don't list all this info, however Kim's request this week was to use at least 2 of her textures, thought I had better since that was the assignment  given by the teacher to her students.  And I might add, a very excellent teacher who shares nicely with her students...something I learned in school - "how to share".  But my Mom taught me how to say "thank you", so a big "thank you" to Kim for sharing, teaching, and loving what she does so well.

"One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child." ~Carl Jung

Until next time.....



22 comments:

  1. You did such a lovely job of texturing your composition . . . A+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job of adding the texture! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post for today's TT! :)
    Beautiful photo and texture work. Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your back to school photo and your edit looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing you "recipe", Deanna! Very nicely done!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, your post today gave me the final push to explore textures...which I have been doing all morning so far. Thanks! And lovely photo (p.s. our schools don't start here til the Tuesday after Labor Day...so I'm not in school mode yet).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I had the same idea in mind for my photo but decided to go another route. Love your editing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful picture Deanna! I love the comp and the yextures you use are just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huuuuuge texture fan, but must say, this looks very nice and vintage.

    Also, I quite agree with you about the whole geometry thing. Math was NEVER my strong suit, and I was so happy to get it over with first semester of college!

    Happy Tuesday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deanna, this is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your edit recipe. I've never used linear burn, but now I plan to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Deanna! And you had trouble with geometry too? I got a "C", but I have no idea how. I think the teacher felt sorry for me. I tried so hard, but just couldn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post and pic Deanna! You really nailed the assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great show - did you ever bring your teacher an apple? I think I did

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice still life and wonderful texture work !!

    Lily aenee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post this week - thank you! Your photo turned out really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You get an A on this assignment. Wonderful use of textures and great way to share with your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice job, Deanna! And I love the quote at the end. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful post and what a beautiful photo! beautiful texture work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love everything about this photograph. It's timeless and should be framed. I'm new to textures and I feel so grateful that I can draw inspiration from so many talented people :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so pretty, I love the textures you used and thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.